Wednesday, March 6, 2013

DIY: Mod Podge Flower Cavas & Lace Canvas

I'm not a super creative or crafty person so these two projects were perfect for me. Super easy. All the art work up in my room was made by me or my best friend Tabitha (who is actually a great painter and good at pretty much anything DIY)

Materials you'll need:
  • Paint ( I used Apple Barrel: Coral)
  •  Canvases
  • Paint brushes and a paint tray ( I prefer the spongy brushes)
  • Mod podge
  • Scrapbook paper ( I used 6 different patterns but bought 2 of each just in case)
  • Lace fabric ( I got 3 yards so I could use it for multiple projects)
  • Scissors
  • Staple Gun
  • A pencil (for tracing)



 Start by paining both canvases. While those dry you can cut out your petals from the scrapbook paper. I made three different sized "pattern" pieces. Then I traced out lots of petal pieces on each piece of scrapbook paper and cut them out. I didn't end up using all of the petals but it helped having extra. Once my canvas was dry I began placing the pieces on the canvas without adhesive to get my desired shape. Once I placed them in different orders about 50 times I came up with a design I liked and began to glue them down using the mod podge. You could use any kind of glue to do this but I used the mod podge since I knew I would also be using it at the end. Once all the pieces were in place I let those dry and moved on to my other painted canvas to complete the lace project. This one was insanely easy. I wrapped the canvas in the lace and cut off the excess lace. I then stapled the lace to the back edges of the canvas and made sure it was on really tight. Ta da, lace canvas complete. Easiest project I've ever done. Then back to the flower project. I finished off the piece by applying  a nice even layer of mod podge on top. I used the matte version but you could use gloss or semi- gloss depending on your own desired look. The pieces that went over the edge of the canvas took a little more work than the rest to stay on so I applied a few extra coats to those. 2 simple projects complete. Not only were they extremely easy but they were cheap to make. I am very happy with the way they turned out!






2 comments: